Coach

Coach

Monday, February 10, 2014

Coaching Philosophy

This was a requirement for USA Canoe/Kayak HP2 certification.  I got asked the other day what my coaching philosophy is, and going back to review this a year or so after I wrote it, I still stand by what I put down.  It's written for coaching paddlesports, but I think I apply it pretty well for all the sports I coach.

Personal Coaching Philosophy

Mission Statement

As a member of the USA Canoe/Kayak high performance coaching team and coach for the Rice Creek Boat Club, it is my personal mission to always strive for excellence in my personal conduct, my relationships with athetes, officials, coaches and parents; to provide the best possible technical coaching  to all USA Canoe/Kayak athletes regardless of club affiliation;  and to encourage the athlete’s development as a “whole person”.

Athlete Safety and Fair Play

Athlete safety is absolutely paramount, and trumps all other concerns.  I will never knowingly place an athlete in a situation where they are at risk of abuse, or in physical danger beyond the normal exposures of our sport. 
As a coach, I will always strive to know both the letter and application of all rules governing our sport, to ensure that the rules are understood and adhered to by my athletes, and to pursue appropriate remedies when these rules are breached by anyone.  Rules level the playing field for all, and ensure the integrity of the sport.
As part of my personal fair play code, I will use objective criteria (time controls, performance standards) to determine participation and support levels, attempting to provide appropriate support to all athletes I am coaching, not just the ‘favored few’. 

Drug Free

Under no circumstances will I recommend or condone the use of performance enhancing or recreational drugs by my athletes or coaches.  The long term effects of many performance enhancing drugs are unknown, particularly on young athletes, and are not in keeping with my belief for sport.  If an athlete violates this code, I will not continue to coach them, although I will attempt to support them if they are returning to a drug free life.

Respect for Participants

I will always endeavor to treat all athletes, officials, coaches and spectators with respect, and ensuring that my behavior does not reflect negatively on my athletes, club, federation or sport.    I will support and encourage athletes from all clubs, congratulating winners and losers with equal sincerity, and assisting any who need it if their coach is not available.
I recognize that mistakes and conflicts occur, and will always attempt to resolve these quickly and unemotionally.  I firmly believe in the concept of ‘praise in public, criticize in private’ and will use ‘teachable moments’ whenever possible.

Responsible Coaching

I will always strive to use the best available techniques, models and tools available to me in coaching athletes.  I recognize that athletes are individuals, have a variety of personal goals, and that not all athletes respond to the same techniques. 
I structure group and individual training plans using several tools and criteria:
-Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) model
-Ability of participants
-Goals of individual participants
-Yearly Training Plan  objectives
-Yearly competitive plan objectives
-Available resources
My personal expectation is that each athlete strive to attain, and deliver their full potential as athletes.  I also recognize that other factors including educational goals, other sports interests and financial constraints may dictate a different “whole athlete” outcome.
I utilize a series of measurement tools, controls and benchmarks to assist the athletes with tracking their performance and realizing improvement.

Education

My goal is always to provide the best possible coaching to my athletes.  To do this, I will continue to take advantage of available education presented by USA Canoe/Kayak and others, and to share in developing and refining the models that drive improvement in our sport. 
I actively participate in discussions with coaches and trainers from other sports to further refine my approach and knowledge. Whenever possible, I will participate in coaching opportunities for elite team camps and regattas, both to coach athletes and to learn from peers around the world.  I will strive to share any knowledge or tools I may develop with my peers, and to solicit feedback and ideas from them at all levels. 

Pride in Canoe/Kayak – Paddlesport

I will always strive to improve the image, and promote the brand of USA Canoe/Kayak, and to encourage all participants, coaches and parents to do the same.  I am proud of what we have accomplished in the past, and what we can achieve in the future.  I encourage all participants to know the history of the sport, the champions, and significant events. 
I expect my athletes to represent the sport with pride and dignity, wearing branded apparel when appropriate, and ensuring that their personal appearance and demeanor is in keeping with what they would want to be seen.
*********************************************************************************

I coach from a sense of personal satisfaction in seeing the athletes I coach succeed.  Coaching is a process, not a moment, and I will always strive to remember that the result of that process is about the athletes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment