Coach

Coach

Friday, May 9, 2014

New GPS time

I broke down and got a new GPS unit for the bike.  After making do with my aged Garmin ForeRunner 305, carrying my phone so I could use Keep, GPS essentials, and whatever else it took to try and manage files, I bought a Garmin Edge Touring Plus.  Why the Touring Plus instead of the 810?  Easy - maps, routes, courses, and time/distance info but I don't really care about having a power meter, Cadence, bluetooth pairing, or the other really cool advanced features of the 810 series.  I just want to know how fast I'm going, how far I've gone, and how to get there.
Plus from a blog standpoint, DCRainmaker does a great  job of comparing features, facts and capabilities of these things.  I used their site to help make the decision to buy the Touring Plus.

Right off the bat, some likes - it's small, it's light, it's bright, and it comes with a base map already loaded.
The mounting system seems a little cheezy, but it'll work fine until I get a KCNC or similar.

After enduring the lack of graphics, ppoor routing ability and pretty lousy mounting system for the 305, I'm anxious to start riding with the ET+ to see how it works.

Routes and maps to come.  I promised those earlier in the year, and haven't forgotten about it. Much more work to be done in that area.

No comments:

Post a Comment