Coach

Coach

Saturday, April 13, 2019

BBQ Trail - OKC edition

George's Happy Hog

We are in Oklahoma City for US National Team Trials for sprint canoe/kayak this weekend, and I had a chance to hit a new (to me) bbq stop, George's Happy Hog. 
This is the real deal, serving pork, beef and ribs, and a variety of non-fried sides.  This has been a fixture in OKC for years, moving to their current location in 2004.  It's not fancy, but it is as real a place as it gets.  
I stopped in mid-afternoon on a very rainy Saturday, and there weren't many customers eating in, but lots of takeout business heading out the door.  I had a chance to chat with the owner a bit to learn about their prep and technique.  Fourteen hours or so, cooked 'low and slow' over pecan wood.  Pecan imparts a much more subtle flavor than hickory or cherry.  Not bland, but not 'in your face' either.  I had a side of greens, and the peach cobbler, both of which were excellent.  A huge portion of meat and greens - I really needed a nap afterwards!
The menu was pretty short - know what you do and do it well.  Brisket, ribs, pork, smoked bologna, sausage.  Sides included potato salad, greens, baked beans and mac&cheese.  And a range of classic desserts like lemon cake, sweet potato pie, pecan pie and peach cobbler.  

This is going to become my 'go-to' in OKC.

 Grade:
Meat - A; Sauce - B+; Sides - A; Staff - friendly; Charm - comfortable.













Swadley's Bar-B-Q

Swadley's was a stop for a quick sandwich.  I suspect they are better known in this part of the country for brisket.  The hot link sandwich (no pig on the menu) was good - definitely OK, but without a lot of heat.  A little on the expensive side for a sandwich and fries.  I didn't realize they were a chain when I stopped in.  I'll opt to try a different stop next time.

Meat - B (it'd be higher, but no pork); Sides - just had fries.  Eh;  Service - good, friendly; Charm - chain.


No comments:

Post a Comment