Coach

Coach

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Notes from the BBQ trail - winter 2018/2019

This edition of Notes is a bit of a catch-up for the winter months.
Back in November, I had a road trip to South Carolina and hit a couple of spots.  Nothing earth shattering, but it's always fun to try new spots.

Uncle Joe's BBQ, Ina, Indiana

First stop was Uncle Joe's in Ina, Illinois.  I was hungry, it had been a long slog down from Wisconsin, I saw BBQ and stopped.  Hoped for the best.  And it was pretty good.  One characteristic of BBQ outside the deep south is that pork is pulled, not chopped.  Depending on who pulls it, it can be a little chunky.  In this case, it was a bit long/chunky, but it was very well cooked, flavored right, and a big portion.  Service was friendly, and appropriately quick.  Certainly worth a stop if you are in the area.
Food - B+; Service - A; Sauce - B-; Charm - Beige

The Gambling Stick, East Nashville, TN


Next stop on the tour was "The Gambling Stick" in East Nashville.  I *tried* to get in to Edley's, which seems to be the most popular spot in town.  Unless you wanted to valet park, you'd better have Uber'd in, have a reservation, or be willing to wait.
As it was, I was hungry and not up for a crowd. I found the Gambling Stick almost by accident, and was very happy I did.  Well cooked, low and slow over cherry wood imparts a really good flavor and bark.  The beans were excellent and the greens were good.  Sauce was good with a couple of options.
This is a trailer parked on a parking lot.  Nothing fancy.  And nothing needed.  A cute wall tent with a heater for dining 'in'.  Very friendly, knowledgeable staff.
Food - A; Service - A; Sauce B+; Charm - yes





Hitz BBQ, Berea, KY

Last stop of the trip was another "I'm starving and I don't want fast food" meals.  Hitz BBQ in Berea, Ky was there to feed me.  Good food, great service, and while it wasn't memorable, sometimes it's just nice to know that there are local places that deserve mention and are well worth the stop.  I'll say it again - when possible, support local food.
Food - B+; Service - A; Sauce - B; Charm - ok

And the bad news

One more for this post, and I'll hope the BBQ gods will execute a "rescue or remove" clause on these guys.  Famous Dave Anderson, who started a pretty OK regional chain called "Famous Dave's".  After he left, it went fairly rapidly downhill, and remains mired in mediocrity today.  So Dave has started a new chain "Old Southern BBQ" that's supposed to fix all the ills that befell Famous Dave's.
After three visits, I'm sorry to report that - at least of this writing, it doesn't appear to have worked - at least not at my local edition.
The first visit, both the pork and beef were well cooked, good bark, and the proper amount of moisture.  Dave's sauces are not special - cloyingly sweet and tomato-ey.  We didn't bother with it before, and that hasn't really changed.  The sides were sort of ok.  The "Jimmie Beans" are a little sweet as well, and didn't have a lot of flavor.  I wasn't that impressed with the dirty rice, and the coleslaw was an interesting take on that ubiquitous dish.
Second trip was again 'just sort of OK', except they forgot to put one of the sides in the bag...
The last trip was my last until and unless someone convinces me it was a total aberration.  Last week's Friday night takeout was Old Southern, and it may well have been the worst BBQ I've ever had.  Grabbing a pound of meat, a side of beans and coleslaw should be a quick and easy dinner.  Except that the beans were undercooked, the coleslaw was soupy, and the meat was so overcooked an d soggy it was inedible.  I did file a lengthy comment with corporate, no response.
Sorry Dave, as an improvement, it's a miss. I won't bother going back.
Food - overall C. Last trip - F; Sauce - C-; Service - B+; Charm - Ambitious





No comments:

Post a Comment