Coach

Coach

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Fall Playlist

I've been varying my playlists, adding artists new and old.  For this list, most of the artists have 'been around a while', but the music still speaks to me - particularly compared to the current "lake, truck, beer, butts' model of songwriting.  (Is there a program that just spits this stuff out?)
Criteria for the list was simple - I heard it/saw it on youtube or already had it on my library and it seemed to fit..

"The road goes on forever" - Robert Earl Keen - It's probably his signature song, but it's still good, rowdy fun.
Tecumseh Valley" - Townes Van Zandt - another great ballad from TVZ.
"Dead Flowers" - Caitlin Rose - Written by the Stones, covered by TVZ, but she still does a great job.
"Out among the stars" - Darrell Scott - Adam Mitchell wrote it, Merle Haggard performed it first, but I'd put this as one of the best covers.
"Jesse with the long hair" - Robert Earl Keen - OK, it's a little like Dylan's Jack of Hearts.  And it's a song with a mystery - did Jesse fire the shot, or did the sheriff? Listen closely...
"Arizona Star" - Guy Clark - When you're cool - the sun shines all the time.
"I hear them all" - Old Crow Medicine Show - one of my favorite OCMS songs.
"Shades of Grey" - Robert Earl Keen - written about the immediate aftermath of the Murrow Federal Building bombing.
"Snake Farm" - Ray Wylie Hubbard - I started following RWH on that Face thing.  He's articulate, entertaining and a helluva fun writer/musician.
"Charlie Dunn" - Jerry Jeff Walker - a whole song about boots? Why not.
"Little Bird" - Jerry Jeff Walker - I think one of Jerry's best.


No comments:

Post a Comment