Coach

Coach

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Carolina Rain

We had to forego our trip to the Carolinas this year - too many other things on the burner, and something had to give.
I'm in love with the 'mountain sound' - not quite bluegrass, definitely not 'trucks, babes and beer' of Nashville.  When it's just right, it sounds like you are sitting around the general store stove, or hanging out in someone's barn listening to a group that's playing for a meal, maybe some gas money and a place to stay for the night.

There are some incredible musicians working out of North Carolina and other points these days.  This post is about some groups that I think help define a 'sound' you are likely to hear from Asheville, High Point or Chapel Hill.  The common points to me are good melodies, tight vocals and harmonies, and great instrumental breaks.  A great base line helps.  In any case, the sound is as old as the hills, but somehow very fresh.
A really good example of this is the bottle rocket group "The Biscuit Burners".  I never fell in love with their later albums, vastly preferring their very first.  The vocals were pure mountains, and from another era - probably more like another century.  Listen to Mountain Lily:
  "Oh wild red, mountain lily. Set on my bedside tonight. Wild red, mountain lily, remind me of my true lover's hand".
Drop most of the hard consonants "wil' red, moun'n lily, 'min' me of my true lover's han'" and sing it with a beautiful Carolina drawl, and  you've got it.
Unfortunately, I think the group is on permanent "hiatus", but their first album "Fiery Mountain Music" still goes down as one of my all time favorites.  "Mountain Lily", "Once upon a time", "Moonshine Whiskey" and probably my favorite - "Mono County Jail".  It took me months to figure out the lyrics to that one.

Some others that are creeping into my regular playlists now:

Deep Chatham - "Carolina Rain" - Banjo, mando and bass.  And solid vocals.

Mandolin Orange - "One more down" - great vocals, understated mandolin lead.  Too often, mando players think they have to be Sam Bush or Chris Theile.  This is so clean, simple sounding and just fits perfectly.

Playing on the Planet - "Waltz of the Thirteen Moons"  and "Thirteen Moons"  Big plug for my buddy Lisa's band - more varied than some of the groups, but the sound comes straight from the mountains.  Listen to the two songs in order - you can feel the sadness and ghosts in the waltz.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - "Alabama Pines" - more country or Phil Phillips, but I still like it a lot




No comments:

Post a Comment