Coach

Coach

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Plus one more

Earlier this year I did a post called "Plus One".  Not a meaningful post, more a riff on how garages tend to fill up with bikes, boats, skis, golf clubs or whatever "because they do".
Nature abhors a vacuum, and since I am not coaching high school Nordic, I seem to have time on my hands to look at some other opportunities.  More to come on a couple of those later, but I'm also busily dreaming my way into another bike.  It has to be a 'plus zero' this time - sell one (or two) before building a new one.  I've decided to build a fat bike next year.  I'm still not sure what it will be - single speed, 1x11, internal or just what, but that's part of the fun of doing a build.  All I can say at this point is it won't be some pipe steel clunker with 42 bottle mounts.  I know there are lots of folks who love steel bikes, but I'm not one of them.  I don't miss the BB flex, don't miss the noodle-like response, and don't miss the weight.
To pay for this little exercise, I need to sell a couple of bikes that just aren't getting used.  My favorite road bike, 2nd favorite of all time behind my 1985 Raleigh 531 (long gone), is my Ridley Noah.  Actually, it's not my favorite any more.  My single speed OPAAT CX bike and my Auger Plus have both surpassed it in terms of utility, miles ridden, and likelihood of being pulled out for a club ride.  It's a great bike - fast, non-twitchy, climbs and sprints like a dream, but it's not a bike my well-seasoned butt wants to be on for a long day.  Time to move it along to some young buck who wants a screaming fast ride.  Seriously for sale, make realistic offer!

So follow along over the winter as I agonize over hubs, rims, components, frames and such.  My bike lust can be your opportunity for a little schadenfreude, and in the end we might all learn something.

In any case, it'll be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment