Coach

Coach

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Almost nearly a bike!

Ritchey WCS tape, plus underwrap of Cinelli cork on tops
In amongst all the other side projects, 24 hours of work in the last 28, and getting ready for the Miesville Grinder, I've been slowly finishing up the 'fiddly bits' on the Foundry "Auger+".  Doing the main bolt-ons is easy.  Building the wheels - straightforward.  Figuring out cable runs, adjusters, chain length, brifter placement, stack height, cutting the fork... ...those are the hard ones.

  • Dry fit bars, stem, brifters
  • Set stack height to same as existing favorite bike
  • Balance on bike to try it out.
  • Add 2 5mm spacers on top of stem, just to make sure
  • Disassemble
  • Cut steerer (ever cut the steerer on a $600 fork?  It's a little daunting.)
  • Figure out cable runs, end fittings
  • Realize that XT derailleurs don't have an adjuster
  • Get in-line adjusters from LBS (thanks NOW)
  • Decide where to put said adjusters
  • trim cable housing
  • install all the bits
  • tweak until it's right
  • tweak a little more
  • tape and tie in place
  • install cable
  • stretch, adjust
  • set brakes (TRP Hy/Rd - easiest setup EVER!)
  • adjust derailleurs
  • Double check torque on stem, seatpost, crank, pedals, brakes
  • Go for short ride!!!

And so I did.  Only about a mile, but a little climbing, descending, corners, braking.  Initial impressions are that "it's just a bike" - which is high praise.  I won't have to learn any weird twitches or tweaks.  I will have to learn the brakes. They stop better than cantis - or calipers for that matter.  I do have to take a couple of links out of the chain - not used to the amount of takeup and stretch an 11-36 has and I mis-judged.  And I have to wrap the bars and clip/end cap cables.
But it's quiet and quick and not too bad for weight.  I can't wait to ride on gravel!
BTW, Challenge is providing me a set of Paris-Roubaix tires, and a pair of their new Gravel Grinders.  Watch for a future writeup on both!  I love my Almanzos, but I hate burning them up on road, so I'll be flippping back and forth!

Pardon me while I gush.  Whiskey 9 thru axle fork, TRP Hy/Rd brakes, Hope EVO Pro 2 hub, Sapim CX Ray spokes, HED Belgium rims, Challenge Almanzo tires

Shimano XT 9 spd derailleur, XT 11-36 cassette, Shimano 9000 cables

Ritchey WCS Stem, Cowbell 2 44cm bars, Ultegra 6700 brifters

FSA Gossamer 36-46 crankset, Shimano XTR pedals, Ritchey WCS post, Selle Italia saddle


No comments:

Post a Comment